Wednesday, November 19 - Thursday, November 20, 2014
Please note: Online registration is now closed, but you can still register onsite at the University of Delaware. Save time and fill out the registration form to bring with you.
A legal program for in-house and outside counsel with corporate board topics for corporate secretaries, governance specialists, investors and consultants. Sponsored by the Society and The John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware, in partnership with the State of Delaware.
Why You Should Attend:
This year's Delaware Law Issues Update will feature six panels focusing on recent developments in case law affecting Delaware and other states, and related governance issues. Distinguished speakers, including Delaware Justices and members of the Court of Chancery, members of the defense and plaintiffs' bar, corporate secretaries and governance specialists, will give best practice guidance on how to strengthen boards and avoid litigation.
• Luncheon address by Richard D. Parsons, Senior Advisor, Providence Equity Partners, and former Chairman and CEO of Time Warner and former Chairman of Citigroup;
• The Honorable Jeffrey W. Bullock, Delaware Secretary of State will attend the Networking Reception and deliver brief comments;
• Conference dinner will feature an interactive conversation with the Honorable Leo E. Strine, Jr., Chief Justice of the Delaware Supreme Court.
What You Will Learn:
• Shareholder activism - how to prepare for and how to advise the board during and after an activist intervention
• Recent case law on the use of poison pills
• How to deal with dissident directors on the board
• Legal developments affecting boards' decisions and fiduciary duties relating to executive and director compensation and related governance issues
• Practical tips on how to best position the board and the company as proxy disclosures are written and approved
• Developments in M&A cases, and what boards need to consider in the context of fiduciary duty, including the board's responsibility with regard to advisor conflicts and appraisal rights cases
• Developments in connection with exclusive forum, fee-shifting and arbitration bylaws
• Confidentiality issues concerning board materials and dissident directors
• Potential pitfalls in use of board portals, minute taking and post-meeting follow-up
• Books and records and other shareholder demands under Delaware law
Who Should Attend:
Corporate secretaries, in-house and outside counsel, and governance professionals, investors and consultants. While the program will focus on Delaware corporate law, it will be highly relevant even if you are not a Delaware Practitioner or from a Delaware corporation as Delaware law is highly influential on corporate and governance practices throughout the country.
Continuing Legal Education Credits:
Many states regularly grant continuing legal education credits to attendees of Society programs. The Society will file for CLE credits based on the information registrants include on their registration forms. Please be advised that CLE approval notices are not always received prior to the conference.
A block of rooms have been reserved at the Courtyard Marriott Newark at the University of Delaware for the nights of Tuesday, November 18 and Wednesday, November 19 at the rate of $134 per night. For reservations, please call 302-737-0900 or 800-321-2211 and mention "Delaware Law Issues Update" to receive the negotiated rate. The room block expires on Friday, October 31. After that date, the hotel will continue to sell rooms at "rack" rates, if rooms are still available.
Courtyard Marriott Newark at the University of Delaware
400 David Hollowell Drive
Newark, DE 19716
In the event the Courtyard Marriott Newark at the University of Delaware is sold out, the Society also has a block of rooms at Embassy Suites.
654 S College Avenue
Newark DE 19713
rate $159 single/double
Rooms will be held until October 27, 2014 or until rooms sell out.
The Society is offering Delaware Law Issues Update registrants complimentary transportation to/from the Wilmington DE or Newark DE train station and the Courtyard Marriott, Embassy Suites or Clayton Hall in Newark DE during the conference dates. Reservation information will be available shortly.
Click here for a downloadable registration form.
Click here for a downloadable brochure.